Friday, July 16, 2010
Thursday, July 8, 2010
Tuesday, June 22, 2010
When I started out I used to just paint the bases Goblin Green and be done with it. Then I moved up to simply spreading some white glue on the base and sprinkling it with green flock. Honestly - not a bad solution. What I've been doing lately is adding some interest to my base texture. I collected a variety of materials - decorative sWHFB, and and small pebbles from the craft section of the dollar store, fine sand and pebbles from the end of my driveway and other bits of debris like bits of drywall. The process then is pretty straight forward:
- Coat the base with glue. I use slightly watered down Elmer's Wood Glue because it has a stronger bond but regular white glue will do too.
- Sprinkle with mix of materials. I start with the larger bits and then sprinkle fine sand on top to fill in any gaps.
- Tap off any loose material
- Wipe the edges of the base with your finger if any of the glue went over the sides.
The whole unit is then primed and painted - leaving the bases for last. The bases are given a coat of Scorched Earth, followed with a dry brush of Graveyard Earth and a final highlight of Deneb Stone. Once the highlighting is done, add some random splotches of white glue, dip the base in some Citadel Static Grass and tap of the excess.
As a final touch I paint the edges Jungle Green. This is personal preference, others like leaving the base black or go with other shades of green or brown. Now here's the completed unit:
Saturday, May 15, 2010
The black orcs are 99% done. I just need to do some touch-ups and finish the bases. I am probably going to change the banner at some point to,
The red armor was given a base for Mechrite Red followed by a wash of Devlan Mud with a touch of blue ink. The wash targeted the recesses and details. This was followed by highlights of Blazing Orange and Vomit Brown. To make the armor look worn I added random scratches and dings with Vomit Brown. In a similar random fashion I went over those marks with Scorched Brown with a final highlight of Chainmail.
The metal bits where painted Boltgun Metal and given 2 liberal washes of Badab Black and 1 wash of Devlan Mud before highlighting with Chainmail and Mithril Silver.
I mentioned in my last post that I had originally painted some of these figures up to be "table ready." Here is an example of the new and old versions side by side.
Ref: WD364 pp 96-100
Tuesday, April 27, 2010
I've been getting back into WHFB lately. Fantasy Battle was my first love. I remember picking up the boxed set of Harboth's Orc Archers - the start of my Waagh! I've tried pretty well every Fantasy army but I always come back to my Orc horde. They are just so much fun - even in defeat!
At any rate I've been re-doing and actually finishing some of my old miniatures. These Black Orcs are part of a unit I was working on before I stopped playing years back. I'm using some techniques picked up from some recent White Dwarfs. The pics are not the greatest but you get the gist.
I prefer to use a black primer now-a-days but the plastic orcs were already primed white from back in the day. I started the skin with a base coat of Orkhide Green, followed by a highlight of Goblin Green/Jungle Green. Additional highlights were added by mixing Bilious Green into the mix. I then used a liberal wash of Ogryn Flesh followed by a wash of Badab Black in the recesses. A final highlight of Goblin/Jungle/Bilious Green + Skull White was then added. The red armor is base coated with Mechrite Red.
The Boss and Standard are metal figures and were already painter 'table ready'. I'm just updating the color scheme a bit and cleaning up some details. If I remember correctly I started these guys off with Salamaner Black - a colour which used to be in the Citadel range. This was a green-black colour which I would have highlighted with Dark Angels Green and Skull White.
- updated with better but still not great pics 4/28/10
Sunday, April 25, 2010
I haven't posted in a while but I have still been working away. One of the reasons for the lack of blog activity can be seen above. My original thought with this blog was to focus on Eldar so I was reluctant to put up anything else. However, I have been concentrating on my DIY Space Marine chapter the Raven's Sons lately as well I have been starting to get back into Fantasy Battle.
Here are some close-ups of the 2nd Coy command squad: